Understanding How Changes to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Impact Your Future
Let’s face it, taxes can be overwhelming. And when you factor in the amount of changes that went into effect this year, it adds complexity to ensure you make educated and impactful decisions to prepare for your financial future.
Whether you are an individual filing taxes or acting as an organization, the recent Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that went into effect in 2018 in the United States will undoubtedly affect your decision-making processes. And as we are now mid-way through the 2018 calendar year, evaluating and prioritizing your investments, savings and/or business initiatives to ensure alignment with the current tax code changes is key.
With many of the individual tax code provisions expiring in 2026, and business tax codes not expected to have an expiration date, we have provided key resources that will help you understand the tax code changes that may affect you or your business. These resources will provide you with the knowledge to help with your future-planning, as well as better prepare you for your tax filing in 2019 (for the 2018 calendar year).
Top 5 Tax Planning Resources
- Tax Planning: Education Saving – This article discusses various tax planning strategies for 529 plans, accelerated funding, tax-free gifts and rollovers to ABLE accounts.
- Tax Planning: Corporate Executives – Given the complexity of changes to the tax code, this article highlights what corporate executives should consider for the personal finances.
- Tax Planning: Income and Retirement – This article outlines key tax strategies to consider for investment income and portfolio positioning, retirement savings and options, itemized deductions, divorce and life insurance.
- Tax Planning: Charitable Giving and Estate Planning – When giving to charity or planning your estate, it’s important to understand the impact tax legislation will have on each of us.This article discusses donor-advised funds, gifts, trusts, family businesses and estate documents, and more.
- Tax Planning: Business – This article covers how the tax law affects businesses, and outlines the difference between pass-through (and non-pass-through) businesses, public (and non-public) companies, tax-exempt organizations, life insurance and other considerations.
- Proactive Section 199A Deduction Strategies for Small Business Owners – this article outlines deductions that small business owners should consider and plan for in the upcoming tax year.
We know the importance of financial planning and strategy, and although we do not provide tax preparation services, we can help maximize the value of your after-tax family net worth. Our goal is to give you the foundation needed to be successful. Contact us today for a free consultation.
This information does not purport to be a complete description of the developments referred to in this material. Links are being provided for informational purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website's users and/or members.