Just this month, I had the pleasure of finding out that Barron’s once again recognized me as one of America’s Top 1,200 Financial Advisors in the U.S. – marking this the 11th consecutive year being named to the national list, and second year in a row for being ranked fourth in the state of Colorado.
It’s such an honor to have achieved this again, as thousands of top advisors in the nation compete to get this recognition each year. Barron’s is one of America’s premier financial magazines published by Dow Jones & Company, and the magazine bases its Top Advisor rankings on data from over 4,000 of the nation’s financial advisors. This includes looking at an advisor’s assets under management and annual revenue, but also length of time in the business, client retention, and philanthropic work.
Although advisors receive these rankings individually, I truly believe that this could not have been done without the incredibly hardworking, professional and talented team at M.J. Smith & Associates. We are a close-knit group of people that love to help others and be there for our clients as they grow and manage wealth.
While it’s a privilege to receive honors like the one from Barron’s, our greatest privilege is serving our clients and championing their success. In fact, we have been in the business since 1983 and have had clients with us from the beginning – averaging a 97 percent retention rate over the last several years. We are prouder of this than anything else as we feel our clients are truly a testament to what we do.
What Makes M.J. Smith & Associates Different?
At M.J. Smith & Associates, we help our clients create financial and life plans that reflect unique situations while supporting and celebrating hopes and goals. We strive to help you lead the life you choose by providing competent, ethical financial advice.
- We act as your voice of reason. Clients rely on us to help understand the market. We provide objective, practical financial advice to help you understand the implications of a hasty investment decision. Emotional investing can derail even the most solid financial plans. It’s our role to keep you on the path to success.
- We help you save on investment costs. Everyone wants to save money. That’s why, in our model portfolios, we use funds with low expense ratios, and we work to help our clients lower investment costs.
- We offer ways for our clients to learn from our experienced professionals. Education is a cornerstone of our practice, and critical to enabling clients to take control of their financial lives. M.J. Smith offers regular seminars, videos and white papers to help people understand finances and the market.
- We employ a proactive tax planning strategy. Clients face a variety of tax issues – not only while they’re accumulating wealth, but also when it comes time to spend that wealth in retirement. We proactively manage tax-bracket “creep,” so our clients only pay what’s necessary.
- We uphold a fiduciary standard of care. As a Registered Investment Adviser with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, we are obligated to uphold a fiduciary (best-interest) standard of care for our clients, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. In fact, many of our advisers have voluntarily achieved and maintained credentials like the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM certification, or CFP® certification, the Chartered Financial Analyst, or CFA designation, the Certified Investment Management Analyst®, or CIMA® certification, and the Certified Public Accountant, or CPA designation – each of which demands adherence to a strict code of ethics and a code of professional responsibility.
We Want to Help You
If you’re looking for a financial advisory firm committed to placing your interests first, let M.J. Smith & Associates help you. We are experienced in our field and proud to say that we believe we are one of the top investment firms in the nation. We’d be pleased to review your financial situation and answer your questions in a complimentary, no-obligation consultation. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Raymond James is not affiliated with Barron’s. Placement on the Barron's Top 1200 Advisors Ranking: Organized by State, is not indicative of future investment performance and may not be representative of individual clients' experience. Opinions expressed are those of Mark J. Smith and are not necessarily those of Raymond James. Third party links have been provided for informational purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website's users and/or members. Opinions expressed in these third-party articles are those of the authors and are not necessarily those of Raymond James. Working with a financial professional, regardless of if they provide advice under a fiduciary standard of care or not, does not ensure a favorable outcome.
Raymond James and its advisors do not offer tax or legal advice. You should discuss any tax or legal matters with the appropriate professional. Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, CFP® (with plaque design) and CFP® (with flame design) in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
This information does not purport to be a complete description of the developments referred to in this material. Links are being provided for informational purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website's users and/or members.
Source: Barron's “Top 1,200 Financial Advisors,” March, 2018. Barron's is a registered trademark of Dow Jones & Company, L.P. All rights reserved. The rankings are based on data provided by over 4,000 individual advisors and their firms and include qualitative and quantitative criteria. Data points that relate to quality of practice include professionals with a minimum of 7 years financial services experience, acceptable compliance records (no criminal U4 issues), client retention reports, charitable and philanthropic work, quality of practice, designations held, offering services beyond investments offered including estates and trusts, and more. Financial Advisors are quantitatively rated based on varying types of revenues produced and assets under management by the financial professional, with weightings associated for each. Investment performance is not an explicit component because not all advisors have audited results and because performance figures often are influenced more by clients' risk tolerance than by an advisor's investment picking abilities. The ranking may not be representative of any one client's experience, is not an endorsement, and is not indicative of advisor's future performance. Neither Raymond James nor any of its Financial Advisors pay a fee in exchange for this award/rating. Barron's is not affiliated with Raymond James.